Did you know August 26 is International Dog Day?!
This special day to celebrate our best friends was founded by Colleen Paige in 2004 in the United States and became legislation int the state of New York in 2013! Colleen is a dog lover, pet and family expert and she chose that date because that’s when she adopted her first dog when she was only 10 years old.
The idea behind International Dog Day was to create awareness for dogs that needed to be rescued and to highlight the comfort, love and joy dogs bring to our lives… and to recognise the dogs that protect us and save our lives - as well as encouraging the adoption go dogs from sheets and rescue centres.
A few ways you can celebrate International Dog Day:
- Give your dog some extra love and attention to thank them for all the love and joy bring to your life - take them on a play date, or treat them to a new toy!
- Relax with your best friend and watch a dog movie together!
- Teach your dog a new trick, they love learning and the rewards
- Hire a photographer to take a portrait of you and your best friend - a lasting memory you can keep close to your heart
- Volunteer or donate money/ food / blankets to your local dog shelter, rescue center or animal welfare organisation
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter
- Help out an elderly neighbour by taking their dog for a walk