With the dog days of summer upon us is really important we keep our best friends nice and cool to prevent them suffering from heatstroke so they remain happy and healthy.
As with us humans, the more we can keep our dogs sheltered in shady spots, the better - with access to drinking water the better! It’s also a good idea to ensure they’ve got some cold water activities on hand such as a paddling pool, or a garden sprinkler to cool off in while having fun at the same time. Other ways you can help them keep cool while they are relaxing is by purchasing a self-cooling dog mat, filling a hot water bottle with cold water, or preparing a damp towel for them to rest on.
Summer tips for dogs:
- Freeze dog treats to keep your best friend hydrated as well as stimulated on those long hot summer days.
- Plan your daytime and walks to avoid the hot temperatures in the middle of the day and exercise your dog in the cooler early morning or evenings.
- Never leave your dog alone in a hot car in summer - even if you’re parked in the shade with the windows open - dogs can overheat and become distressed a lot faster than we do.
- Keep your dog well-groomed with a shorter haircut for summer - and ensure they are regularly brushed to avoid knotting as matting off their hair can retain heat close to their skin
- Dogs can also suffer from sunburn - there are specially formulated sun creams available for dogs, especially if they have lighter coloured skin.